It’s back to school time, and if your household is anything like mine in the morning you barely have time for a healthy breakfast. I want everyone in my family fueling before the day starts so what is a fast healthy breakfast idea for us? Toast!
Instead of the ol’ school peanut butter and jam, I am going to give you some great toast-based, FAST healthy breakfast options that fuel you with energy and healthiness.
Here are some new ways to build your breakfast toast :
- The Toast aka the carrier – most people think bread is the only option but there are many other healthy alternatives.
If you are going full hog on the gluten – opt for sour dough, dark rye, or as I tell my patients, “the grainier and darker – the better”. This will help keep your blood sugar more stable and keep you feeling more full throughout your morning.
If you can’t stomach the gluten, you can always select gluten-free alternatives, such as Silver hills or O’Dough’s which seem to be among the favourites for my gluten-free patients.
Sweet Potato Toast? Yes!
If you prefer to eat paleo, keto or low carb nutrition, you can try sweet potato as the toast base. It’s just as sturdy and super healthy. Here’s how: https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Sweet-Potato-Toasts-2681003#directions
Other options for ‘toast’? Slab your toppings onto lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, and celery.
- The Spread – mushy and soft goodness to spread on your carrier.
I love nut butters (almond and cashew), seeds butters (pumpkin and sunflower), hummus which now comes in so many varieties including white bean or sweet potato blends, pesto, refried beans, olive tapenades and/or soft cheeses.
This can really be anything your heart desires: herbs, raw veggies, sautéed veggies, last night’s leftovers, lox and capers, meats, eggs, and fruit.
Here are a few of my favourite fast healthy breakfast combinations:
- Almond butter toast topped with roasted cinnamon apples with roasted sunflower seeds and more cinnamon
- Avocado smashed with garlic topped with arugula and a fried egg and chilli flakes (keep the egg runny!)
- Goat’s cheese with chopped dates and roasted pine nuts
- Sautéed mushrooms, garlic and spinach with melted brie
- Cream cheese with smoked salmon topped with capers and fresh dill.
- Caprese salad on toast – mix up olive oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, fresh mozzarella, and basil and spread it on your toast.
- Mediterranean – hummus toast with grilled eggplant, zucchini and peppers (marinate your veggies with lemon juice, garlic, and oregano).
- Refried beans topped with sliced tomato and avocado. Don’t forget the cilantro and cumin.
Don’t forget: Finish with appropriate seasonings (herbs, salt and pepper, vinegars, dried herbs)! A good quality balsamic vinegar is not just decorative and is rich in minerals, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and manganese necessary to support healthy daily nutrition!
Dr. Mary, ND
P.S. For more guidance on family nutrition, give me a call at Soma and Soul or fill out our online form to book an appointment!
Image by @oatmeal_stories via Instagram