If you’re looking for an easy way to add more Omega-3’s into your diet, you could try making my favourite (and family-friendly) salmon cakes. Not only are these salmon cakes packed with Omega-3’s, but they’re also a great source of protein, B vitamins and zinc that make these salmon cakes a powerhouse for supporting brain health and the management of ADHD symptoms.
These tasty salmon cakes can provide several nutrients that may support ADHD symptoms. The salmon is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, particularly EPA and DHA. These fatty acids are crucial for brain health and have been shown to improve attention, memory and other cognitive functions. Omega’3s also have anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce inflammation in the brain, which has been linked to ADHD.
Protein is essential for the production of neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and norepinephrine, which play a key role in regulating mood, attention, and behaviour. Salmon cakes provide a good amount of protein, which can help stabilize blood sugar levels and promote satiety.
B vitamins are involved in many processes in the body, including energy metabolism and neurotransmitter synthesis. Some studies have suggested that certain B vitamins, such as B6 and B12, may help alleviate symptoms of ADHD. Salmon contains B vitamins, particularly vitamin B12, which is essential for brain health.
Zinc is a mineral that is important for brain function and has been linked to ADHD. Some studies have suggested that children with ADHD may have lower levels of zinc than their peers. Salmon is a good source of zinc, which can help support cognitive function and immune health.
So, get your apron on and let’s start by mixing together some fresh salmon with flavourful herbs and spices, We’ll form the mixture into patties and cook them up until they’re crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Serve them up with a zesty dipping sauce or on a bed of greens for a fresh and healthy meal.
- 1oz canned wild salmon (drained)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (for cooking)
- 1 tsp sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Drain the can of salmon and remove any bones or skin.
- In a bowl, combine the salmon, egg, almond flour, onion, celery, parsley, mustard, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Form the mixture into 4 patties. Heat some avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the patties for about 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with a side of veggies and enjoy!
Recipe by Amy Jones.
Want more recipes like this one? Click here to book with Amy.