Picture and Recipe By: June Xie via Delish
- 1 (14-oz.) block extra-firm tofu, fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 1 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
FOR STIR FRY
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. freshly minced ginger
- 8 oz. string beans, trimmed
- 2 small carrots, sliced
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- In a medium pot of salted boiling water, simmer tofu for 2 minutes. If using frozen tofu, simmer until completely defrosted. Remove from heat and let drain in a colander lined with paper towels. When cool enough to handle, gently squeeze and pat dry. If using frozen tofu, use firmer pressure to squeeze out water.
- Cut tofu into bite-sized pieces, then toss together with soy sauce, sesame oil, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Once liquids are absorbed, toss tofu with cornstarch.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add tofu and let cook until golden on all sides, turning occasionally, 7 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from skillet and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add in garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in string beans, carrots, broccoli, red pepper, and green onions. Cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, sesame oil, water, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Return tofu to skillet and add sauce mixture to pan. Stir and cook until slightly thickened, 2 minutes.
Delish: Tofu Stir-Fry