Baked Onion Bhajis
Picture and Recipe By: So Vegan
- 4 medium onions (750g / 26oz)
- vegetable oil
- 100g / 3.5oz chickpea (garam) flour
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 green chilli
- fresh coriander
- mango chutney
- vegan plain yoghurt
- Peel, halve and roughly slice the onions. Add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil to a large pan over medium heat. As soon as the oil is hot, add the onions and a pinch of salt and fry for 10-12 minutes or until soft (but do not caramelize).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F and line a large tray with baking paper.
- Transfer the onions to a large mixing bowl, then add the chickpea flour, ground cumin, garlic powder, paprika, ground coriander and 1 tsp of salt. Finely chop the green chilli and add it to the mixing bowl along with a drizzle of vegetable oil, then use a couple of spoons to give everything a mix until the onion is fully coated in the flour and spices.
- Using a couple of spoons, place 2 tbsp of the mixture onto the baking tray and lightly flatten it down with the back of the spoon. Repeat until you have 12 bhajis on the tray. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until crispy and slightly charred around the edges.
- Either top with or serve with fresh coriander, mango chutney, vegan plain yogurt and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
So Vegan: Baked Onion Bhajis