Recipe & Photo by Erica Winn
- 4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (can sub chicken breasts)
- romaine lettuce (or sub tortillas or other sturdy lettuce)
- chopped cilantro
- sliced avocado
- sliced jalapenos
- lime wedges
FOR THE CARNITAS SAUCE:
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano (fresh or dried)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
Prep garlic as noted. Combine orange juice, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and chipotle powder in a bowl or jar and mix well.
Prepare any optional toppings/serving items to have them ready for when the chicken is finished cooking.
FOR THE INSTANT POT:
Place chicken in the Instant Pot and add in the garlic. Pour the carnitas sauce all over the chicken and toss to coat.
Secure the lid on the instant pot and close the pressure valve. Press the “manual” button (or “pressure cook” button) and set the time to cook for 25 minutes at high pressure. Once the time is up, carefully & quickly release the pressure manually.
FOR THE SLOW COOKER:
Place chicken in the slow cooker and pour the carnitas sauce all over the chicken.
Place lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
When the chicken has finished cooking in either the Instant pot or slow cooker, remove the lid and shred the chicken with two forks.
Serve chicken carnitas in bowls, lettuce wedges or tortillas with your favourite toppings.
OPTIONAL STEP FOR CRISPY CHICKEN CARNITAS:
Set your oven to broil.
After shredding the chicken, use a spoon to remove the chicken from the instant pot or slow cooker and place on a large sheet pan. Pour or spoon the juices from the instant pot or slow cooker over the chicken in the sheet pan.
Place in the oven to broil for 7-10 minutes, until the chicken begins to develop some brown and crispy edges. Remove the chicken halfway through and mix it up with a spoon or tongs to help coat all of the chicken with the juices.
Watch the chicken carefully under the broiler and cook to your preference.
- Tacos – with Siete tortillas or corn tortillas if you tolerate corn ok.
- Bowls – you can make a bowl with rice or cauliflower rice, veggies, greens, avocado and throw some chipotle aioli or one of our other Whole30 sauces on top for good measure.
- Roasted Veggies – just pair this flavorful chicken with your favourite roasted veggies and call it good.
- Stuffed potato – stuff a sweet potato or regular potato if you eat them with these carnitas.