Build-Your-Own Buddha Bowl
Picture and Recipe By: Cookie + Kate
1 ¼ cups short-grain brown rice or long-grain brown rice, rinsed
1 ½ cups frozen shelled edamame, preferably organic
1 ½ cups trimmed and roughly chopped snap peas or snow peas, or thinly sliced broccoli florets
1 to 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce, to taste
4 cups chopped red cabbage or spinach or romaine lettuce or kale (ribs removed)
2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted and thinly sliced into long strips (wait to slice just before serving, see details in step 5)
- 1 small cucumber, very thinly sliced
- Carrot ginger dressing*
- Thinly sliced green onion (about ½ small bunch)
- Lime wedges
- Toasted sesame oil, for drizzling
- Sesame seeds
- Flaky sea salt
- Bring a large pot of water to boil (ideally about 4 quarts water). Once the water is boiling, add the rice and continue boiling for 25 minutes. Add the edamame and cook for 3 more minutes (it’s ok if the water doesn’t reach a rapid boil again). Then add the snap peas and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Drain well, and return the rice and veggies to the pot. Season to taste with 1 to 2 tablespoons of tamari or soy sauce, and stir to combine.
- Divide the rice/veggie mixture and raw veggies into 4 bowls. Arrange cucumber slices along the edge of the bowl (see photos). Drizzle lightly with carrot ginger dressing and top with sliced green onion. Place a lime wedge or 2 in each bowl.
- When you’re ready to serve, divide the avocado into the bowls. Lightly drizzle sesame oil over the avocado, followed by a generous sprinkle of sesame seeds and flaky sea salt. Serve promptly.
- If you intend to have leftovers, wait to complete step 4 just before serving (otherwise the avocado will brown too soon). Leftover bowls keep well (avocado excluded) for 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator
Cookie + Kate: Build-Your-Own Buddha Bowl